Friday 6 March 2015

Career talks..

Hello everyone!

Hope you've all had a great week, I certainly have.

So, this post is finally going to give you all an insight into my future plans.. because for some reason just before Christmas I panicked that I had changed my mind and no longer had set in stone plans, and I know plans don't always work out but I just like to have some sort of idea of where I'll be this time in five years.

First of all, I would like to clarify that it does not matter if you haven't decided what you want as a career path both before, during and after university. Personally I think it's silly to expect every 17/18 year old to know what they want in their educational/working life but we are expected to choose such specified degrees nowadays that it really can be scary for some if they are not 100% sure on a career path.

Degree's like mine are extremely versatile, 'Education Studies' has so may branches coming off it when you look into it. There's the obvious teaching, social work and anything is possible as you can head off to do a conversion course after your degree if you truly change your mind or even if you slightly go off course. I have decided that after I finish my final year I will be heading off to another university(probably not Bedford purely for experience of going elsewhere) to do a Psychology conversion course.

I want to be an Educational Psychologist, I have done thorough research on this job and I just know it will suit me perfectly! I was always interested in psychology at school and I even chose it for one of my A levels but sadly had to drop it as I had too much on my plate and couldn't even put my focus from subject to subject. I do really wish I had been able to carry it on as it was my favourite but unfortunately failed the first mock exam and I was achieving higher in my other subjects.

I had a meeting yesterday with the careers adviser at university because I have been trying to get round to doing it for ages and now I hope you understand that I couldn't tell you all about this until I had spoken to her for fear of getting my hopes up and telling everyone to then be told it's not possible, but it IS possible which is the best news ever.

I'll do my conversion course and then work my way up through a job setting, it is so exciting knowing that this is the right path for me. Don't get me wrong I am interested in teaching and education I just think using psychology is much more suited towards me and my personal preferences
An example of the type of situations I'd like to be faced with, helping children to reach goals, overcome fears etc.

I chose my degree partly for this reason... I didn't know if I'd always want to be a teacher but I knew I'd never lose my passion for education as a whole. There are so many courses similar to mine in all fields of careers and I would highly recommend a more broad course for someone who does not have a clue what they want to be.

There are hundreds of courses available on the University of Bedfordshire website I urge you to take a browse and have a read of some of the courses!

That's it for today.

Until next time,

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment