Friday 5 June 2015

Picking The Right University

Hi everyone, hope you've all had a great week!



I know you'll appreciate this post as you're all going through exam period at the moment and are probably stressed about everything education related. Everyone gets so worried about whether they're picking the right university for some reason (me included), but really is there a right university?
Your choice should be right for you, this won't necessarily be the right choice for your friends. I've made a list of all the things I think everyone should consider when they're choosing their potential universities:

  1. Does it have the course you want? This is THE most crucial thing, for me anyway. If the course isn't right, then nothing else will be. You need to realise that you're going to university, you're paying all this money to study a degree and eventually graduate. You cannot pick a university because of where it is and skimp on the course itself. At the end of the day you're there for three-five years on average, you need to enjoy what you're studying more than anything else because essentially this is what you're expecting to get a job in one day.
  2. Does it have the facilities you require? Look around the town/city you're visiting, don't just scour the uni, you need to know you can feel comfortable living in its surroundings. 
  3. Does it make you excited to start university? There would be nothing worse than turning up at your university choice in September/October and feeling glum. Make sure the university gives you that buzz and happy feeling.
  4. Are your potential lecturers friendly and welcoming? Get to know the tutors, find out more about them, ask current students maybe. Just get as much inside information as you possibly can, you're going to want to know the truth.
  5. Is the location right for you? Is it close to home or far from home, this is obviously your personal preference, not your parents or partner. Choose what's right for you. 
  6. Accommodation. Is it going to be comfortable to live in? Can you spend a year there before moving into a house with your friends, it's a long time to spend somewhere you can't stand. 
  7. Money. Can you afford to live in the area? This shouldn't matter too much if you've got the right course as I'm sure if the course is that important you'll work your bum off over summer to pay for a room. BUT, if you don't think you can save money or afford it then simply, rethink. 
My main reasons for picking Bedfordshire were first and foremost, the course. I knew this was the course I wanted to study and luckily for me it is a course that most universities offer. Location was second, I wanted to be close to home, I just wasn't ready to live 100 miles away from my family. This was 100% the right decision for me, I didn't hesitate at all and that's mainly because I gave myself the opportunity by studying close enough to home to commute but far enough to live there at the same time. I lived there for my first year, loved it and then moved home for my last two years. I still have my friends, I still go out on student nights, I'm not missing out at all. In fact I much prefer the way I'm doing university right now. 
However, I will say that I think if I hadn't lived in for the first year I'd probably be lonely. Purely because everyone would have had the time to socialize on student nights and I wouldn't have. I still think I would have friends but I do think I'd miss out on the nights out.

Hope this post gives you some inspiration! 

Until next time,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment